Sunday 8 September 2013

Present for a 21st birthday!

This present was a little overdue. It is a 21st Birthday present for our great friends daughter, our children were at school together and grew up together, and it is lovely how they are all still good friends even though they are now all away from home making their way in life. We went to the party back in June, but somehow it has taken me two months to get the present finished.

I had the fabric, I had the ideas, I had the items to go in the basket - but it seemed to take ages to for the ideas to become reality. I wanted to use a fabric that could be wiped down, but one that wasn't too stiff and eventually found some Tilda (i think) laminated fabric. I also wanted to insulate the basket, to help keep things cool or hot so used some Insul-Bright as a middle layer with an outer layer of cotton. I made a pattern, which was quite tricky as the centre of the long sides arches slightly, and each side angles out slightly - so the dimensions had to be exact. I also found out later that using laminated fabric means that you cannot afford to make a mistake or else little puncture marks are left in the fabric!

I wanted to add a flap over the edge of the basket to help keep the liner in place with a bow. Again the flap measurements were awkward because of the arch in the basket, and the fact I wanted a straight line of fabric around the outside of the basket - not following the arch, if you see what I mean. Anyhow, here I am with all the layers together - laminated fabric, flap, insulated wadding, and lining - all pegged up and waiting to be machined around the top.

Top tip: when using laminated fabric, to avoid making creases in the fabric I rolled it around one of those tubes plumbers put around pipes.
I then made two insulated covers for the basket lid flaps, two lengths of material for the bows and a matching cutlery roll. Then filled the basket with picnic plates, bowls, etc and a lovely book 'The Picnic Cookbook' by Annie Bell .....


...... and finally H had her present! Congratulations on being 21 (belated)
....... and just a reminder of the magical party in the barn.





No comments:

Post a Comment