Thursday 14 November 2013

New project on my table

Just started a new project, but I have to keep it quiet as it is a present for my friends who took me on holiday in the summer with them. It won't be a complete surprise as I said I would make them a quilt for their alpine home, so having thought for a long long time how I would make the quilt, I came up with the idea of a red work quilt with the embroidery reflecting aspects of our holiday and the area.
I think I will use the embroidered pieces as a centre to a square block, and then add white sashing to join them together.
I've got a few more to sew, but am now looking for red material to make the other patches. I'm finding it  quite difficult to find a selection of red material that will tone together and not clash! It is difficult to see the true colours on web pages. Any thoughts would be welcome!!
Just finishing the walking boots now, reminding me of our walk to the 'Pic de Marcelly' and hearing the cow bells drifting up from the valley below - ahhh brings back lovely memories of warm summer days!
Hmm, think I'd better tidy up my needle case - maybe I'll make a new one.

6 comments:

  1. OMG Jilly, that is gorgeous. Your friends will love this. What a fabulous gift. If it is any consolation, my needle book usually looks like that too, especially when I am in the middle of something! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope I can find the right red fabric to go with it - it may be an on going project!

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely fabulous. Lucky friends x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui. It is proving fun to do, I haven't done and embroidery for years! x

      Delete
  3. Did you design the motifs yourself, really pretty, love the red on white. Someone will be getting a gorgeous present :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, some are sketched from photos I took on holiday - simplified down, others I have asked for permission to use. Thanks for dropping by. Jilly x

      Delete