Sunday 30 September 2012

A totally impractical gift!

I have a creative streak at the moment!

I have just made a birthday present for my good friend A - although it is a month late getting to her. It started out as a very practical gift, but finished up hugely impractical but quite fun!

I saw and bought the material when I was at the 'Festival of Quilts' back in August, as I thought it was just the job to make something for her. Then it took me a while to decide what I would make, get all the materials together, make a pattern, and actually set about making it.



A peg bag can't be that difficult? I had seen her glueing the hanger back together on hers, so thought a new peg bag would be welcome.

I only had two fat quarters of material and didn't want to make any mistakes, so made a mockup first with some curtain lining that I had to hand. It's a good job I did as I wanted the peg bag to be seamless inside, but managed to get one of the fabrics the wrong way round once it was all turned the right way out! Now I have the laying up order safely written down so I don't make the mistake again.

quickly made pattern

my little sketch of the finished peg bag on the corner of my sewing table


I then decided to cover the hanger so that it would blend in more, and add a little embellishment - a little flower brooch made from Liberty fabric scraps with a little vintage button in the centre and a 'pearl' necklace!





The necklace is what makes the peg bag a little impractical as I can see it totally getting in the way, especially if it is raining and there is a need to get the washing in quickly.....



.... but it would make me smile whilst hanging out the washing!

I have also started another quilt, this one is much smaller than the last, and is a present for my niece and her husband as they are expecting their first baby any day now! Rather than make a cot quilt I have made a play mat, the fabric is so cute - but more about that next time as I'm still busy making it.


No comments:

Post a Comment