Saturday 21 June 2014

A little sewing

After all the excitement of the Great British Sewing Bee series on the BBC, I decided that I would make a few tops to wear this summer - so this is the first one. I have some more material lined up, but for this one and to test the pattern I used some fine cotton that was passed onto me a few years back.
The pattern I decided to try was one that I bought as a PDF download, so the whole pattern thing was quite an adventure. I saw a link to the pattern here and had a look at the patterns on their Etsy shop, and decided to give it a go. The payment went through and the download appeared in my in box - yeah!  I printed off the instructions first and had a good read through.
Then printed off the pattern, this consisted of 40 A4 sheets of paper (!!) which I had to trim and stick together with tape matching the markings on the sheets. Sounds complicated, but really it just took concentration and time.
I decided that rather than cut my size from the printer paper I would use dressmakers tracing paper and trace the pieces I needed leaving the pattern whole to use another time. So now the pattern is carefully folded away.
I then got carried away and bit and cut the fabric and started making it up - forgetting to take photos along the way. I was also using my tailors dummy for the first time, a gift from M and C last Christmas.
The instructions were clear and easy to follow, with good diagrams. The sizing was good too, as the top fits me well. I may add some decoration around the neck line and around the bottom when I make another. Although this was a trial I like it and will wear it, and now I know the fit is ok I will be making others. 
So, here is my Roza Blouse.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely Jilly!!! Just right for summer too, nice and cool and relaxed feeling. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I was pleased with how it turned out, and it is nice and cool to wear - just as well with all the lovely weather we have been having x

      Delete