Thursday 20 June 2013

On my sewing table at the moment...

Back in April when I was away visiting my friend J, I promised to make her some new birthday bunting as she said hers was looking a little sad. Of course on returning home I had lots of things to catch up on and the bunting was filed at the back of my mind! However, it suddenly came to the front of my mind again when I was looking through the calendar and was reminded that her daughter will be 21 soon so they will need bunting!
 I know that J's favourite colour is red, so I searched through my fabric and scraps to find what I had in red, then added in some blue as well.  I decided to make the lettering out of the patterned fabric and search again for solid colours for the flags. Discovering that I don't have many solid colours, but did have some nice neutral linen, I decided to make a more 'grown up' bunting - as her children are now grown up, and the colours would match well with her decor!
The flags are all made and the letters outlined, and I have just cut some bias binding....


....I had some wide ric rac, so now just need to put it all together and get it sent off to her.
 I have also been making up some cushions, from the material that I printed last term at my screen printing course. My plan was to make new cushions for the garden bench, just to make it a little more comfy when sitting out in the sun - and we have been lucky with the sun over the last week or so. The red cushion with the cotton reel is for my sewing chair.
The main fabric is linen, and the backing on the green is a cotton ticking and the red is a linen with a lovely tiny flower, and I made self coloured buttons.
I've got a few more printed squares to make, but need to match up some backing fabric.
Must get on and finish the bunting.......

No comments:

Post a Comment