Wednesday 24 April 2013

Screen printing catch up

Last week I started back at my screen printing on fabric course. This term is only six weeks, so I need to think quite carefully what I want to achieve.

But first a catch up on last term when I designed some simple patterns that I could print out to make patchwork or to sew with. When I went to London recently to visit the Kaffe Fassett exhibition I bought some lovely linen at The Cloth House, so in the last few sessions I printed out one of the patterns onto this new linen and some cotton and have used it to make a little clip purse.

This was me trying different combinations and colours and material with the designs to see what worked well together.

Then printing the flower design onto my new linen - which had a line running through it - looks quite neat!
I've made quite a few of these purses now using the pattern from here.  Here I am just machining the lining and outer fabric together, and you can see the interlining and interfacing.
Now turned the right way out, and I'm about to glue the frame onto the bag. I forgot to take any photos as I was too busy concentrating on not getting glue everywhere!
Finished purse...

... and with lining showing.

It is quite exciting to use my own fabric design that I have hand printed to make something! I think I will make another purse using the yellow flower sometime.

This term I am planning to print some slightly larger images, so that I can make some cushion covers for the garden seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment