Sunday 2 December 2012

Starting the Christmas countdown

Well I managed to get the Advent Calendar up on the right day, and to send the girls a little advent card for them to open each day at Uni.

I made this one when the girls were very small and it comes out every year and really starts the countdown to Christmas - concentrating the mind on all the things we need to get done. When the the girls were little they would find a little gift in the pockets each day, but now it just looks festive on the wall and makes me realise how much I still have to organise!



So, without really checking to see if I had everything in the store cupboard I mixed up the Christmas cake (a little late, but never mind) - a slightly modified recipe this year as we didn't have any oranges to zest, so used satsumas instead and had to use a variety of nuts instead of almonds. But it looks OK. I phoned the girls to let them have a virtual wish whilst I was stirring the mix and then tipped it into the tin


Hmm, no parcel paper to tie around the tin to stop the cake burning. A little improvisation - I cut up a paper carrier bag! So now the cake is safely in the oven cooking.


Now, what's next to do? Making cards I think....

Dont forget to drop by and join in my first year of blogging giveaway, it will close on Wednesday 5th.

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a virtual wish into the Christmas Cake : -)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Advent calender. We used to have a thing with lots of little wooden boxes. Sad when the children get too grown up for that sort of thing!

    ReplyDelete